Sunday, May 29, 2005

Splendiforous! Or, not.

I was all excited when I first heard about new Diet Coke being made with Splenda. I mean really, like a kid at Christmas. I used to love Diet Coke, years ago before I realized (with some help from my doctor) that my near daily migraine attacks were caused in part by my near daily consumption of Diet Coke and other Nutrasweet-laden items. So I bid a bittersweet adieu to all things aspartame, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds. My migraines became more infrequent and less intense almost immediately when I modified my eating habits. I became an avid label-reader and was stunned to realize how many food products contain Nutrasweet. Almost all diet sodas and drink mixes, gum and mints, even bread and yogurt, not to mention things like cough syrup and pain relievers. Anything labeled as "sugar-free" or "reduced sugar" and even some things that are "fat-free" use aspartame to add flavor via sweetness. So, when Splenda came around I was happy to see a potentially viable alternative to Nutrasweet that hopefully lacked the side effects that aspartame causes in some people.

I was finally able to find the new Diet Coke with Splenda in the grocery store the other day and, well, it tastes like dirt. Sweet, caffeinated, carbonated dirt. Sad. I hope this isn't the final product.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home